Monday, July 16, 2012

Easy as Fudge, Four Ingredient Fudge Pops


Greetings from the faraway lands of third year of residency.  I’m busy.  This is the fourth month in a row that I have to get to work at 5am.  I took advantage of the business to put myself on a diet and start exercising to keep myself sane.  And I lost 15 pounds. 


I was never fat, but as happens to most of us, I used to be much thinner.  A couple of months ago, I was reading the 2011 Medscape survey of practicing OB GYNs across the country.  I was shocked at how few docs in my age group exercised and that almost 40% of all OB/Gyns were overweight.  As I am now half done with residency and starting to prepare for life as a practitioner, I want to be healthy and have good habits.

It is amazing how much more energy I have back at my high school weight.  Exercising is easier, and eating vegetables, lean proteins and whole grains doesn’t bottom me out, so I spend less time feeling like I got runover by a Texas truck.   People at work ask me how I lost so much weight, and really the answer is simple.  I downloaded an app for my phone called Lose It that helps you track your daily caloric intake.  I ate between 1300-1500 calories a day for 2 months and exercised.

Now I’m trying to keep a happy balance.  I am back to a 2000 calorie diet, but keeping healthy habits that got me here.  Still, this girl can’t cut out dessert.  So, here is something delicious and rich, but less dangerous than two dozen cookies.   I figure that each of these fudge pops is about 120 calories apiece, but made only from real ingredients. And they couldn’t be easier.  No guar gum or any of that crap. 



Luscious fudge pops

4oz high quality dark chocolate (I just love Callebaut and you can buy blocks at Whole Foods)
1 12 oz can fat free evaporated milk
2 tbsp brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla

Popscicle molds (we bought ours at Target)

Cut the chocolate into fine shards or small pieces.  Over a simmering pot of water on medium heat, place a well fitting bowl with the milk and chocolate.  Whisk continuously until the chocolate is completely melted and the mixture is smooth.  Whisk in the sugar and the vanilla and pour the mixture into your popsicle molds and freeze until hard, about 4 hours or more.  To dislodge, run the pops under warm water for a few seconds.  

2 comments:

  1. Congrats! I was actually just photo-stalking you on fb the other day and noticed how fit you are! :) I'm definitely stealing this recipe as I work toward my own 25lb weight loss goal. This desk job is making me so puffy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just discovered your blog... I am a physician who loves to bake too! These fudge pops look delicious and relatively simple to make. Congrats on your weight loss!

    ReplyDelete